With Halloween over that means we’re in turkey season! However, what if you’re not a turkey-person or have family members who aren’t? Cooking even small turkeys can be complicated, time-consuming, and can sometimes result in an injury. For this year, let’s go a little lax with Thanksgiving dinner and introduce the hot dog turkey for all of our hot dog fans out there! You can even utilize your favorite flavor of sausage and ring bologna as well! It’s less traditional, but on-point for the rollercoaster of a year 2020 has been, especially if you’re not going to be able to visit family like you normally would. It’s even perfect for your kids to help out with making Thanksgiving dinner too. Here’s how to make a hot durkey your family will love.
- We’re going to focus on Hippey’s Hot Dogs but you can use any of our delicious meats such as:
- Hippey’s Cheese Franks for an added bit of flavor
- Hippey’s Smoked Sausage
- Hippey’s Ring Bologna
- and more!
- 1 Large Loaf of Italian Bread
- Your favorite toppings such as:
- Diced Onions
- and more
- Cook the hot dogs how your family enjoys them. We recommend using a grill pan to get the traditional grill marks as well as keeping the hot dogs relatively the same length.
- Cut about 4 to 5 inches from the end of the loaf. The larger section of the loaf should fit in a roasting pan.
- Cut the smaller section of the bread in half lengthwise, then cut those halves lengthwise again for a total of 4 pieces.
- Using toothpicks, secure one of the smaller pieces you cut to either side of the larger loaf. You want it to look like the traditional turkey legs.
- Slice some of your grilled hot dogs in half lengthwise. Place the hot dog halves using toothpicks around the top and base of the bread to fill up the space. You’ll need to trim the hot dogs down to fit smaller areas.
- Cover the legs in the same fashion as the base, trimming down the hot dog halves as needed.
- Decorate the plate or add separate dishes around the hot durkey with your family’s favorite toppings and sides.
- Enjoy your unique spin on a traditional Thanksgiving meal!